Philosophy Lecture Series Starts With a Look on Life
Instructor Christopher Pallotti lectures about phi- losopher Aristotle’s ideas on “The Good Life.”
This semester's philosophy lecture series kicked off with more than 15 people Tuesday, Feb. 20 for "Ancient Greeks and The Good Life," hosted by instructor Christopher Pallotti.
"We are engaging tonight in the activity of philosophy," said Pallotti. "The idea is to bring together a community of learners and people who are interested in learning."
The concept of philosophy can be unappealing to some. However, Pallotti described philosophy as a general study and love of wisdom. He welcomed those new and old to the series. The focus for the night was "thinking about life."
"I loved it. I came the previous semesters, and I enjoyed being here this semester," said Philosophy Club President Michael Lalaian. "It's always fascinating and inspiring. You always learn something."
The topic of the night was "The Good Life" and what it means to have one according to the Greek philosopher Aristotle. Palotti attributes Aristotle as one of the promi- nent contributors of a good life.
Pallotti breaks everything down and makes sure everyone,
even those who know nothing about philosophy, understand the idea behind the lecture. His interactions with the audience included asking questions, making sure everything was clear and creating a friendly environment in which everyone was comfortable.
"I will definitely be coming back every week," said Michael Lalaian. "It was exactly what I expected and more; [Pallotti] always delivers 110 percent. He makes you see things you already knew in a new way."
The next lecture, titled "Do Some Non-Human Animals Have the Right to Life?," will be held Tuesday, March 6 from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in Campus Center 104.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Valley Star News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE VALLEY STAR NEWS
- Students Recognize Favorite Instructors with Apple Awards
- Bill Proposes More Classes at Higher Price
- Valley College Fundraises for Homeless Students
- Monarchs Welcome New Women's Soccer Coach
- Learn to Cool Off at Psychological Services Anger Management Workshop
- THINK IT THROUGH: Lakers Under New Guidance in Post Season After Black Mamba...
- Coachella Music Festival As Told By One Valley Student
RECENT THE VALLEY STAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest