Bouncing Into A New Season
The Lady Monarchs are looking forward to a great season.
The Lady Monarchs have bounced their way into a new season with a new leader and a fresh roster; now they are looking forward to winning under the "Reign of Hang."
"I'm enthusiastic to have Coach Hang as our new coach. She has brought so much to the L.A. Valley basketball program [and] she has taught us how to become more disciplined not just in basketball, but also as an individual," said Monarch guard Alejandra Gallardo. "I feel like that she makes the game more understandable because she has been in our position in the past."
In their final season under former Head Coach Jay Werner the Lady Monarchs failed to find their rhythm. A first game loss to Pasadena City College proved to be a bad omen for Valley, which ended its last season 9-16, with a 6-6 in conference, after a final loss to Santa Monica City College.
"This year is a lot different than last year, especially with a new and better coach. We are actually starting off with wins this season and growing more and more as the potential team we should be," said Monarch guard Chrystal "Chip" Taloma. "Coach Hang is constantly pushing us to be the best and we learn something new everyday whether it's on or off the court."
The Lady Monarchs have been working hard not to repeat last season's bleak outcome and under newly appointed Head Coach Hang they may have started out in the right direction. Beginning the season with back-to-back wins against Napa Valley and Grossmont College the Monarchs looked forward to a stellar season. However, after the first 11 games the Monarchs are currently 6-5, but remain hopeful that the team will regain their footing for a slam-dunk season.
"We are currently working on binding the little gaps and focusing on the little details to make us successful," said Hang. "We definitely can compete against any team in the state and we are currently ranked 14 in the State of California."
The Lady Monarchs are not just focused on winning, they also strive to become a better team and better student-athletes. With a full college schedule, practice and games, acting like a model citizen may be hard for some, but the Lady Monarchs make it look like a piece of cake.
"We have a bunch of ladies who have class, who are respectful, and who are very disciplined," said Hang. "We have been getting many compliments about their behavior on and off the court and I think that speaks highly of the team."
Valley plays San Francisco City College this weekend in San Francisco.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Valley Star News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE VALLEY STAR NEWS
- Students Recognize Favorite Instructors with Apple Awards
- Bill Proposes More Classes at Higher Price
- Valley College Fundraises for Homeless Students
- Monarchs Welcome New Women's Soccer Coach
- Learn to Cool Off at Psychological Services Anger Management Workshop
- THINK IT THROUGH: Lakers Under New Guidance in Post Season After Black Mamba...
- Coachella Music Festival As Told By One Valley Student
RECENT THE VALLEY STAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists