Lady Monarchs Are Ready For Challenges
Under new Head Coach Monica Hang, and a team composed of 10 new players, the women’s basketball team
Coming off an overall record of 9-16 and a conference record of 6-6, the women's basketball team is up for a challenge. However, this year the team has two challenges that they are ready to overcome: adjusting to a new coach and improving their record.
"We have a tough schedule," said Coach Hang. "It's probably one of the toughest in the state. We play against a team who won state, Ventura College, and a lot of teams that are ranked in the state."
These 16 girls are definitely looking forward to this season. However, there are some players that are back from last year such as Porcha Davis, first team all conference last year, coming back as a sophomore and Chriselle "Kookie" Taloma, sophomore point guard, who are definitely prepared for the upcoming season.
I'm looking forward to the games and I expect to see [everyone's] faces there," said Taloma. "We have a lot of fresh meat."
"I'm excited to see what the team has to offer as a group," said transfer, Richelle Navera. "There's a lot of new people and transfers. It's going to be different than last year from what I know."
This year, under Hang, the girls are focusing on a motto that Hang came up with while she was a college athlete herself, "Nothing is impossible."
"I love challenges as an individual," said Hang. "When someone tells me that I can't do something, I use it as a positive. It motivates me."
And motivation is a key component for Hang while she coaches, especially for the upcoming season.
"I think we're going to have an awesome season," Taloma said. "It's serious, but fun at the same time."
The first game for the women's basketball team is Monday, Nov. 22 at 6 p.m. at home against the Napa Valley Storm.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Valley Star News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE VALLEY STAR NEWS
- Students Recognize Favorite Instructors with Apple Awards
- Bill Proposes More Classes at Higher Price
- Valley College Fundraises for Homeless Students
- Monarchs Welcome New Women's Soccer Coach
- Learn to Cool Off at Psychological Services Anger Management Workshop
- THINK IT THROUGH: Lakers Under New Guidance in Post Season After Black Mamba...
- Coachella Music Festival As Told By One Valley Student
RECENT THE VALLEY STAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”