Reining in a New Season
Glendale can keep the “Hang Dynasty,” because Valley welcomes in the Reign of Hang.
Glendale can keep the "Hang Dynasty," because Valley welcomes in the Reign of Hang.
Valley College women's basketball welcomes the upcoming season with new faces, talent, and a chance at redemption under newly appointed Head Coach Monica Hang.
"I think this year will be better, we have a stronger team and everyone is trying hard to do better than last year," said sophomore shooting guard Porcha Davis.
Last years' women's basketball season fizzled to an end for the Monarchs after a 60-58 loss against the Santa Monica College Corsairs, which crushed all hope for a playoff berth. The Monarchs ended their ‘09 season with nine wins and 16 losses. After the previous year of alosses, the Monarchs sought ways to improve in the 2010 season.
The first step was a new coach.
"Coming to Valley is a change for the better and I'm very happy to be here," Hang said. "I love everything about Valley, the students, my bosses and co-workers, everything. It's a good vibe here."
Coach Hang is not new to basketball. She played varsity basketball for Mark Keppel High School in Alhambra, where she led her team to three consecutive state championships and won several awards, including Almont League MVP. After high school Hang earned an associate degree from Ventura College, and then transferred to Cumberland College in Kentucky on a full athletic scholarship. After she received a bachelor's degree in movement and leisure studies from Cumberland, Hang earned her master's degree in physical education at California State University in 2006.
"[Coach Hang] is enthusiastic, organized, full of energy, and is a delight to have not only as a coach but as a new addition to our department. She's excited to have the job and we look forward to having her here for a long time," said Valley Athletic Director Diedra Stark.
Hang is not new to coaching, either. After spending the last five years coaching at Glendale Community College, her time as a coach earned the title of "The Hang Dynasty." She developed a rigorous, yet successful coaching program that helped Glendale go to the Western State Conference finals; several and many of the students who played under Hangs' guidance went on to receive scholarships at four-year universities such as UCLA and Occidental College.
"I'm excited," said freshman forward Richelle Najero. "She's a new coach with high expectations and she's pushing us hard, so I think we're going to do great this season. She will get a lot out of the team."
Hang's reputation for success precedes her. Perhaps a new coach, a new season and a few new players are a recipe for success.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Valley Star News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE VALLEY STAR NEWS
- Students Recognize Favorite Instructors with Apple Awards
- Bill Proposes More Classes at Higher Price
- Valley College Fundraises for Homeless Students
- Monarchs Welcome New Women's Soccer Coach
- Learn to Cool Off at Psychological Services Anger Management Workshop
- THINK IT THROUGH: Lakers Under New Guidance in Post Season After Black Mamba...
- Coachella Music Festival As Told By One Valley Student
RECENT THE VALLEY STAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge