Lady Monarchs Battle On and Off Court
Valley not only upset the leading in the Western State Conference Southern Divison.
In the final two minutes of the Valley College women's basketball game Wednesday, the Monarchs turned hope into reality, beating the undefeated College of the Canyons Cougars 68-64. The Monarchs conference record is now 7-3.
"They outplayed us tonight," said College of the Canyons Head Coach Greg Herrick.
The game's intensity was depicted by the 31-30 lead held by the Cougars at half, but the Monarchs were the team to rally in the second.
"They stuck with me and the game plan," said Head Coach Monica Hang.
Wednesday's game was deemed "Playing for the Cure" which was associated with the game to raise awareness and money for the battle of Breast Cancer. Along with the cheerleaders sporting pink pom-poms and the teams playing with a pink ball, the Lady Monarchs' warm ups were pink to help with breast cancer awareness.The money fund raised from "Playing for the Cure" went to the American Cancer Society.
"There were two fights tonight," said Valley Forward Richelle Najera. "This game was the fight for Breast Cancer."
To guard Chrystal Taloma, a sophomore on the Monarch team, chemistry is what helped upset the Cougars.
"We were definitely a team tonight," Taloma said. "We communicated and were organized."
The next game scheduled for the Lady Monarchs is sophomore night at Valley on Saturday, Feb. 12 at 5 p.m. against the Bakersfield College Renegades.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Valley Star News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE VALLEY STAR NEWS
- Students Recognize Favorite Instructors with Apple Awards
- Bill Proposes More Classes at Higher Price
- Valley College Fundraises for Homeless Students
- Monarchs Welcome New Women's Soccer Coach
- Learn to Cool Off at Psychological Services Anger Management Workshop
- THINK IT THROUGH: Lakers Under New Guidance in Post Season After Black Mamba...
- Coachella Music Festival As Told By One Valley Student
RECENT THE VALLEY STAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!